- Re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s major package of job-creating initiatives
- Plan to create jobs and training opportunities and support vital services like schools and hospitals
- Full Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse available at www.markmcgowan.com.au
Premier Mark McGowan has unveiled the Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s comprehensive package to keep the South West strong by creating jobs and training opportunities, supporting the local economy and investing in important services like health and education.
Over the past four years, the McGowan Labor Government has invested more funding into regional WA than any other government in history. The McGowan Government guaranteed the future of Royalties for Regions, as promised, but also significantly increased funding for the regions across all areas of government.
The Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse will see that investment continue, through commitments in schools, TAFE, roads, hospitals and community facilities.
The McGowan Labor Government has made TAFE a priority. As part of the highly successful Lower Fees, Local Skills initiative, TAFE fees have been slashed by up to 72 per cent, so more people can get quality training.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue the strong investment in TAFE and measures that create better career pathways for young Western Australians by:
- Upgrading equipment across the State’s TAFEs giving students access to more industry standard and state of the art equipment, including x-ray technology for agriculture, 3D printers, drones and more; and
- Ensuring local flexibility for schools to negotiate the most suitable courses and delivery arrangements with their local TAFE colleges and local industries.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue its strong investment in quality education in the South West. The Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse includes:
- $3 million to refurbish the South Bunbury Education Support Centre;
- $6.6 million to redevelop classrooms into STEM classrooms at Bunbury Senior High School ($1 million), Dalyellup College ($1 million), Busselton Senior High School ($1.2 million), Cape Naturaliste College ($500,000), Bridgetown High School ($400,000), Manjimup Senior High School ($1 million) and Denmark Senior High School ($1.5 million); and
- Investment into science resources for primary schools across the region, and transform existing classrooms into science laboratories at Boyup Brook, Nannup and Northcliffe District High Schools.
The Plan outlines a range of economic development and tourism initiatives in the region to continue the McGowan Government’s work to diversify the local economy and create jobs, including:
- Investing $9.5 million towards the Australian Underwater Discovery Centre at Busselton Jetty to build a world class tourism attraction; and
- An additional $2 million into the development of the South West Manufacturing Hub – on top of the $485,000 already funded for a feasibility study into the concept.
The McGowan Labor Government is committed to ensuring Western Australians have access to high quality healthcare, regardless of where they live. The Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse includes:
- The $200.1 million Bunbury Hospital redevelopment;
- Continued investment in the Patient Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS), increasing the accommodation subsidy to $100 per night, and increasing escort eligibility for people from vulnerable and disadvantaged groups, including women travelling to give birth; and
- Expanding the Community Paramedic model across the State, including in the South West.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue its commitment to increase access to treatment and address the supply of meth in regional WA, including opening a dedicated alcohol and other drug rehabilitation prison for men in custody at Bunbury Regional Prison, providing an intensive therapeutic pathway to recovery.
After delivering a record investment in regional roads in its first term of government, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will oversee another significant investment into regional roads, including:
- Installing traffic signals and reducing speed from 80km/h to 70km/h around the Bussell Highway and Somerville Drive intersection in Bunbury;
- A further $52 million investment into the now $507 million Regional Road Safety Program to invest in repairing, rebuilding and road safety treatments on tens of thousands of kilometres of country roads;
- An additional $14.8 million across the State towards the $251.8 million Regional Roads Upgrades program; and
- $5 million to increase the number of Truck Rest Stops on our major roads.
To help Western Australians stay active, healthy, and connected with their local community, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will:
- Provide $8 million to the City of Bunbury to build new indoor basketball courts at the South West Sports Centre;
- Undertake a feasibility study and pre-planning and engineering work to determine the viability of constructing an ocean pool at Bunbury Back Beach; and
- Invest $750,000 towards a replacement crash barrier fence and increased safety measures at the Bunbury Speedway.
As part of the McGowan Government’s record $28.8 billion pipeline of work, a number of major infrastructure projects are underway in Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse. The WA Buy Local policy will ensure these projects will deliver ongoing jobs for locals over the next few years.
Major projects funded or underway include: $852 million Bunbury Outer Ring Road, $200.1 million Bunbury Hospital redevelopment, $78.1 million Stage 3 Transforming Bunbury’s Waterfront project on top of the $34.4 million invested in Stage 1 and 2, $85 million Bussell Highway duplication, $54.7 million Australind Railcar replacement, $15.5 million Bunbury Port Inner Harbour access road, and $3 million Bunbury Port upgrades.
The Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse includes a number of additional commitments to ensure Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse remain strong, long into the future. To read the full plan, visit www.markmcgowan.com.au.
Comments attributed to Premier McGowan:
“A re-elected WA Labor Government will keep Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse strong.
“Creating jobs and training opportunities for Western Australians will always be my number one priority, and the Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse will ensure our major investment into the South West will continue.
“My government has invested more funding into regional WA than any government in history, and has delivered upgrades to schools, TAFEs, hospitals, roads and tourism.
“Our strong budget management and Plan for Bunbury, Warren-Blackwood and Vasse will ensure the region’s future is stronger than ever.”
Comments attributed to WA Labor Candidate for Bunbury Don Punch:
“Premier Mark McGowan kept WA safe and strong during the COVID-19 pandemic, and Bunbury is bouncing back stronger than ever.
“The Plan for Bunbury will deliver jobs for locals, a strong economy, top-quality health and education, and guarantee a bright future for our city and the wider South West.”