- Re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s major package of job-creating initiatives
- Plan to create jobs and training opportunities and support vital services like schools and hospitals
- Full Plan for Goldfields available at www.markmcgowan.com.au
Premier Mark McGowan has unveiled the Plan for Goldfields, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government’s comprehensive package to keep the Goldfields strong by creating jobs and training opportunities, supporting the local economy and investing in important services like health and education.
Over the past four years, the McGowan Labor Government has invested more funding into regional WA, more than any other government in history. The McGowan Government guaranteed the future of Royalties for Regions, as promised, but also significantly increased funding for the regions across all areas of government.
The Plan for Goldfields will see that investment continue, through commitments in tourism, schools, TAFE, roads, hospitals and community facilities.
To ensure Goldfields residents are better supported to travel to other parts of the State for leisure, to visit family or for medical reasons, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will invest $19.8 million across the State to make travel for regional residents more affordable.
The McGowan Labor Government has made TAFE a priority. As part of the highly successful Lower Fees, Local Skills initiative, TAFE fees have been slashed by up to 72 per cent, so more people can get quality training.
As part of the $5.5 billion WA Recovery Plan, the McGowan Labor Government undertook the biggest TAFE capital works program in history, including $10 million for Central Regional TAFE to bolster trades training at the Kalgoorlie campus.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue the strong investment in TAFE and measures that create better career pathways for young Western Australians by:
- upgrading equipment across the State’s TAFEs giving students access to more industry standard and state of the art equipment, including x-ray technology for Agriculture, 3D printers, drones and more;
- supporting students to access school based apprenticeship programs, and prioritising STEM courses that have been evaluated by industry as suitable for school students; and
- ensuring local flexibility for schools to negotiate the most suitable courses and delivery arrangements with their local TAFE colleges and local industries.
A re-elected McGowan Labor Government will continue its strong investment in quality education in the Goldfields. The Plan for Goldfields includes:
- $1 million for a new STEM classroom at Kalgoorlie-Boulder Community College; and
- Invest in science resources for Boulder Primary School, Kalgoorlie School of the Air and the region’s District High Schools and Remote Community Schools.
The McGowan Labor Government is committed to ensuring Western Australians have access to high quality healthcare, regardless of where they live. The Plan for Goldfields includes:
- $600,000 to re-establish a permanent Women’s GP Health Clinic service, including a permanent cervical cancer screening service, at the existing Goldfields Women’s Health Service
- $2.8 million to constructing a purpose-built Therapy Centre in Kalgoorlie to enable children with special needs to access specialised therapies and allied health
- Continued investment in the Patient Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS), increasing the accommodation subsidy to $100 per night, and increasing escort eligibility for people from vulnerable and disadvantaged groups, including women travelling to give birth; and
- Expanding the Community Paramedic model across the State, including in Kalgoorlie
After delivering a record investment in regional roads in its first term of government, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will oversee another significant investment into regional roads, including:
- Constructing a new traffic island on John Street, Kalgoorlie to improve intersection layout, including pedestrian crossings for primary school children;
- A further $52 million investment into the now $507 million Regional Road Safety Program to invest in repairing, rebuilding and road safety treatments on tens of thousands of kilometres of country roads;
- An additional $14.8 million across the State towards the $251.8 million Regional Roads Upgrades program; and
- $5 million to increase the number of Truck Rest Stops on our major roads.
To help Western Australians stay active, healthy, and connected with their local community, a re-elected McGowan Labor Government will:
- Invest $2.1 million for a new Youth Precinct in the Kalgoorlie City Centre, unifying Kingsbury Park and Lord Forrest into a central, youth focused precinct.
- Invest $600,000 to build a large scale Nature Playground on the site of the Karlkula Bushland Park, which comprises 200 hectares of natural regrowth bushland.
- Invest $510,000 to undertake upgrades at Boulder Camp.
As part of the McGowan Government’s record $28.8 billion pipeline of work, a number of major infrastructure projects are underway in the Goldfields. The WA Buy Local policy will ensure these projects will deliver ongoing jobs for locals over the next few years.
Major projects funded or underway include the $40 million Coolgardie-Esperance Highway upgrades, the $16.8 million Laverton Hospital upgrade, the $10 million Central Regional TAFE Kalgoorlie campus upgrades, the $7 million Joe Lord Core Library upgrade, Social Housing Economic Recovery Package (SHERP) including maintenance, refurbishments and new builds for approximately 140 home in the region.
The Plan for Goldfields includes a number of additional commitments to ensure the Goldfields remain strong, long into the future. To read the full plan, visit www.markmcgowan.com.au
Comments attributed to Premier McGowan:
“A re-elected WA Labor Government will keep the Goldfields strong.
“Creating jobs and training opportunities for Western Australians will always be my number one priority, and the Plan for the Goldfields will ensure our major investment into the Goldfields will continue.
“My government has invested more funding into regional WA than any government in history, and has delivered upgrades to schools, TAFEs, hospitals, roads and tourism.
“Our strong budget management and Plan for Goldfields will ensure the region’s future is stronger than ever.”
Comments attributed to WA Labor Candidate for Kalgoorlie Ali Kent:
“Premier Mark McGowan had WA’s back during the COVID-19 pandemic, and kept WA safe and strong.
“The Plan for Goldfields will deliver jobs for locals, a strong economy, top-quality health and education, and guarantee a bright future for our community.”